Browse some of our recent research publications.
- Theadom A, ReidD, HardakerN, LoughJ, HumePA. Concussion knowledge, attitudes and behaviour in equestrian athletes. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2020.05.008
- Theadom A,Mahon S, Hume P, Starkey N, Barker-Collo S, Jones K, Majdan M, Feigin VL. Incidence of sports related traumatic brain injury of all severities: A systematic review. Neuroepidemiology. https://doi.org/10.1159/000505424
- Shepherd D, Landon J, Theadom A. The association between health-related quality of life and noise or light sensitivity in survivors of a mild traumatic brain injury. Quality of Life Research, 2019;30 Epub ahead of Print doi: 10.1007/s11136-019-02346-y
- Reid D, Hume P, Whatman C, Theadom A, Walters S, Hardaker N, Fulcher M. Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviours of New Zealand Physiotherapists to Sports-Related Concussion. New Zealand Journal of Physiotherapy, 2020, 48(1), 19–28. https://doi.org/10.15619/NZJP/48.1.03
- Macleod C, Surgenor L, Theadom A, Levack W, Hackney J, Silverberg N, Snell, D, User experience of a brief computerised cognitive battery for people with concussion: a preliminary qualitative study. Brain Impairment.
- Faulkner J, Theadom A, Mahon S, Snell DL, Barker-Collo S, Cunningham K. Psychological flexibility: A psychological mechanism that contributes to persistent symptoms following mild traumatic brain injury? Medical Hypotheses, 2020;143,110141. DOI: 10.1016/j.mehy.2020.110141
- Andelic N, Røe C, Brunborg C, Zeldovich M, Løvstad M, Løke D, Borgen IM, Voormolen DC, Howe EI, Forslund MV, and the CENTER-TBI investigators. Frequency of fatigue and its changes in the first 6 months after traumatic brain injury: results from the CENTER-TBI study. Journal of Neurology 01 Jan 2020.
- O’Reilly M, MahonS, ReidD, Hume P, Hardaker N, TheadomA. Knowledge, attitudes and behaviour towards concussion in adult cyclists. Brain Injury.
- Wijk RPJ, van Dijck JTJM, Timmers M, van Veen E, Citerio G, Lingsma HFL, Maas AIR, Menon DK, Peul WC, Stocchetti N, Kompanje EJO and the CENTER-TBI investigators and participants (2020). Informed consent procedures in patients with an acute inability to provide informed consent: Policy and practice in the CENTER-TBI study. Journal of Critical Care, 59, 6-15. doi:10.1016/j.jcrc.2020.05.004
- Hind K, KonerthN, Entwistle I, TheadomA, LewisG, KingD, ChazotP, HumeP.Cumulative sport-related injuries and longer-term impact in retired male elite and amateur level rugby players and non-contact athletes: a retrospective study. Sports Medicine.
- Timmers M, Van Dijck JTJM, Van Wijk RPJ, Legrand V, Van Veen E, Maas AIR, Menon DK, Citerio G, Stocchetti N, Kompanje EJO and the CENTER-TBI investigators How do 66 European institutional review boards approve one protocol for an international prospective observational study on traumatic brain injury? Experiences from the CENTER-TBI study. BMC Medical Ethics 21(1):12 May 2020
- Gravesteijn BY, Nieboer D, Ercole A, Lingsma HF, Nelson D, van Calster B, Steyerberg EW, Åkerlund C, Amrein K, Andelic N et al. Machine learning algorithms performed no better than regression models for prognostication in traumatic brain injury. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 122:95-107 2020
- Czeiter E, Amrein K, Gravesteijn BY, Lecky F, Menon DK, Mondello S, Newcombe VFJ, Richter S, Steyerberg EW, Vyvere TV, Verheyden J, Xu H, Yang Z, Maas AIR, Wang KKW, Büki A, CENTER-TBI Participants and Investigators. Blood biomarkers on admission in acute traumatic brain injury: Relations to severity, CT findings and care path in the CENTER-TBI study. EBioMedicine, 56(1); DOI: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2020.102785
- Barker-Collo S, Theadom A, Jones K, Starkey N, Fernando K, Kahan M, Prah P, Feigin V. Three methods for examining trajectories in neuropsychological performance across the first 4 years after mild traumatic brain injury. Brain Impairment, 1-14, 2020.
- McGeownJP, Kara S, Fulcher M, Crosswell H, Borotkanics R, Hume PA, Quarrie KL, TheadomA. Predicting sport-related mTBI symptom resolution trajectory using initial clinical assessment findings: a retrospective cohort study. Sports Medicine, Epub ahead of print doi: 10.1007/s40279-019-01240-4
- Hume PA, King D, McGeown J, Theadom A. Sports-related concussion, mild traumatic brain injury or sports-originated brain injury (SOBI): A more useful term. New Zealand Journal of Sports Medicine, 45(2) 2019; 64-7. Commentary
- Jones K, Theadom A, Prah P, Starkey N, Barker-Collo S, Ameratunga S, Feigin VL. Changes over time in family members of adults with mild traumatic brain injury. Brain Impairment, 2019 https://doi.org/10.1017/BrImp.2019.27
- Steyerberg E, Wiegers E, Sewalt C, Buki A, and the CENTER-TBI participants and investigators. The contemporary landscape of traumatic brain injury in Europe: Case-mix, care pathways and outcomes from the CENTER-TBI study. The Lancet Neurology, 19(10): 923-34.
- James S, Theadom A, GBD 2016 Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury Collaborators Global, regional, and national burden of traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. Lancet Neurology, 2019, 18(1):56-87 IF: 27.1.
- Shepherd D, Landon J, Kalloor M, Theadom A. Clinical correlates of noise sensitivity in patients with acute TBI. Brain Injury, 2019 doi.org/10.1080/02699052.2019.1606443
- Theadom A, McDonald S, Starkey N, Barker-Collo S, Jones K, Ameratunga S, Wilson E, Feigin V, on behalf of the BIONIC4you Research Group. Social Cognition Four Years after mild-TBI: An Age-matched Cross-Sectional Study. Neuropsychology, 10.1037/neu0000516. IF: 2.70
- Jones, KM Prah, P, Starkey N, Theadom A, Barker-Collo S, Ameratunga S, Feigin VL. Longitudinal patterns of behaviour, cognition, and quality of life after mild traumatic brain injury in children: BIONIC study findings. Brain Injury. doi.org/10.1080/02699052.2019.1606445 IF:2.06
- Barker-Collo S, Theadom A, Starkey N, Kahan M, Jones K, Feigin V. Long term factor structure of the Rivermead Post-Concussion Symptom Questionnaire in Mild Traumatic Brain injury and normative sample, Brain Injury IF: 2.06 https://doi:10.1080/02699052.2019.1570339
- Shaikh NM, Kersten P, Siegert RJ, and TheadomA. Developing a comprehensive framework of community integration for people with acquired brain injury: A conceptual analysis. Disability and Rehabilitation 2019 41(14). DOI:10.1080/09638288.2018.1443163. IF: 2.04
- FadylJK, Theadom A, Channon A,McPherson KM, on behalf of the TBI Experiences Research Group. Recovery and Adaptation after Traumatic Brain Injury in New Zealand: Longitudinal qualitative findings over the first two years. Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, 2019, 29(7): 1095-1112. DOI:10.1080/09602011.2017.1364653, IF 2.3